Sunday, October 20, 2013

Don't be so earthly minded that you're no heavenly good

Deedee, don't get so heavenly minded that you're no earthly good. I watched a sermon this morning titled, "State of Rebellion". I thought that just because I was getting closer to God, well, closer than where I was, that I wasn't rebelling against God.  Boy, was I ever wrong. I've rebelled against God, when He tells me to do/say things and I don't. I've rebelled against my husband when I pitched a fit (like a little kid) when he stated something didn't feel right to him. Honestly, I've rebelled against our son by thinking that he was keeping me from "enjoying life" or "having fun". I realized that all this rebellion has made me out to be quite the angry, resentful person. While everyone around me is enjoying life, I wasn't.


Rebellion: refusal to come under the authority of someone above

I was refusing to submit to God's authority over me, as well as the authority my husband has. Pastor James (Word of God Ministries) said " Rebellion give birth to stubbornness". Man, is that ever true. I was getting more stubborn with every "no" or "foot stomp".

Now, what does "
don't get so heavenly minded that you're no earthly good" actually mean? Honestly, I've said that about people before. All they thought about or talked about was God. I don't know what it means to any of you, but that's what it meant to me. I thought these people were arrogant (and sometimes they were). Thing is, I want to be "so heavenly minded that I'm no earthly good". I want my mind set on the things of God. In doing that, I'll be a better wife, a better mother, a better Christian....a better me. The thing is, though, not to become arrogant in that walk....not to think of myself more highly than I am.  We are to be humble in our walk with the Lord...no matter how much we know or think we know. Always be open to correction...but from those you trust (or those who "come along at just the right time). If one is truly listening to the voice of the Lord, then one can discern if the person is truly speaking from God (of course, God will NEVER have someone say anything that is contrary to HIS word...the Bible).

I've realized that I don't want to be so earthly minded that I'm no heavenly good. In other words, I don't want to be so focused on worldly things that I neglect God. THAT is what I was doing. People come and go, but God will NEVER leave me nor forsake me. People will let me down, but God will NEVER turn His back.  People will lie to me.  God is NOT a man that He should lie. Do I want to be more like God or more like people? The answer is quite clear....MORE like GOD. It's time to make that choice.  It's God, my husband, our son, then everyone else.  This time, God will NOT be neglected in order for me to be accepted by anyone.  This time, my husband will NOT be neglected in order for me to have "me time". By prioritizing things, I will be better in all areas of my life.  I'm looking forward to smiling more.  I'm looking forward to laughing more.  I'm looking forward to my husband and me getting closer than we already are. God has given my husband wisdom that I need to listen to. God has given us an amazing son who deserves NOTHING but the best from his mommy. THOSE are my goals now. NO ONE will be as important in my life as those three.

As I grow in the Lord, my witness will also get better. Right now, it's not up to par. Right now, people really can't tell, unless I say it, that I'm a Christian.  That's not how it's supposed to be. With God's help, I won't become arrogant in my walk..but stand upright with confidence in who I am in God...NOT what others think of me or want me to be. That's what I say to all of you who read these. Don't be arrogant in your walk...but do be confident in who God is and what God says. God will NEVER let you down.....even when people do. NEVER be so earthly minded that you're no heavenly good.





No comments:

Post a Comment