Thursday, September 26, 2013

"If MY people...."

2 Chronicles 7:14

Amplified Bible (AMP)

14 If My people, who are called by My name, shall humble themselves, pray, seek, crave, and require of necessity My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven, forgive their sin, and heal their land.

I see this scripture quoted quite a bit. I'm curious, though, at how many people actually pay attention to it. I used the Amplified Bible because it goes MUCH more into detail regarding the various words used in the scripture. This scripture deals directly with those of us who call ourselves Christians. I'm curious:  just how many Christians are willing to admit their sins? Oh, you don't have any? For starters....gossip, gluttony, strife, idolatry, adultery, murder, witchcraft.

Gossip: sharing "prayer requests" all in the name of sharing to get prayer for someone else. Gluttony: yeah, not just about food. It's about craving more of anything than that which is required. Strife: causing division, being quarrelsome. This often goes hand in hand with gossiping. Idolatry: excessive or blind adoration, reverence, devotion. How many are putting their denomination above serving God? How many are putting their preacher above God by thinking their preacher is above reproach? Adultery: not only is it actually having sex with someone who's not a spouse, it's also lusting after someone who's not your spouse. Murder: not simply killing someone.  Jesus said that if someone has hate in their heart, that person has committed murder. Witchcraft: rebellion is compared to witchcraft. (1Samuel 15:23), astrology, fortune telling, mediums (talking to the dead).

I'll be the first to admit that I'm guilty of pretty much every one of these...and a few more. I mainly listed those above because most Christians believe that they aren't really sinning since they don't "go out drinking", they "don't smoke or do drugs", they don't "actively sleep around on their spouse", or they don't "participate in the act of witchcraft".  Christians forget that there are other sins for which they are quite guilty. How about this: James 4:17 says, "So any person who knows what is right to do but does not do it, to him it is sin."  How many of us "know to do right" but don't do it? Sin, in the the New Testament, doesn't JUST refer to physical acts. There are many sins that are "sins of the heart".  By that, I mean the intention behind our actions (look at Jesus' reference to adultery and murder for instance).

Christians, NONE of us is above reproach, not even preachers. If someone comes to you, in a loving manner, and speaks to you of behavior that isn't "quite right", don't get offended and tell him/her "the bible says to not judge".  On the contrary.  The Word says, in 1 Corinthians 5:12, "
What [business] of mine is it and what right have I to judge outsiders? Is it not those inside [the church] upon whom you are to pass disciplinary judgment [passing censuring sentence on them as the facts require]?" It is 100% Biblical to say something regarding the behavior of those "in the church". No, I'm not saying I'm perfect. By no means am I perfect.  Sometimes I feel I fall so short of God's glory that I wonder if a rocket to heaven would even be able to get me there.  It's then that I remember that God shows me mercy and grace every day. Be mindful of your thoughts, your feelings, your actions. I know I have a lot to repent of.  Don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment